Each California Public School from Kindergarten through grade 12, with 21 or more English learners must form a functional English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC). The ELAC is a committee for parents or other community members who want to advocate for English Learners.
The purpose of the ELAC (or subcommittee, if appropriate) is to advise the principal and school staff on programs and services for English learners and the SSC on the development of the Single School Plan for Student Achievement. The ELAC also assists the school on other tasks listed below.
The committee advises and assists the school principal, staff and School Site Council (SSC) as follows:
- The school’s program for English learners.
- The development of the Single School Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA).
- The school’s needs assessment.
- Efforts to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
The percentage of parents of English learners on the committee must be at least the same as that of English learners at the school.
Requirements for ELAC elections include:
- Parents/guardians of English learners elect parent members of the school committee.
- The parents/guardians are provided the opportunity to vote for committee members.
- Each school committee shall have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC).
2019-2020 ELAC Committee
Bianca Chavez-Vice Chairperson
Vidave Vazquez-DELAC Representative
Mariela Acevedo-DELAC Alternate